HMS "Sphinx" 1:64VM/07
The Sphinx was the named ship of its class, designed by John Williams in 1773, almost two decades after the last batch of 20 gun ships. This class had finer lines than the earlier designs, but more or less the same layout.
When first commissioned, Sphinx was sent to the North American station. She was captured by the French in September 1779, and renamed ‘Le Sphinx’, but retaken 3 months later in December 1779. She was paid off in 1781 and underwent a Middling Repair, coppered and fitted at Deptford. She was recommissioned early in 1782 for convoys in Home waters, and paid off again in 1783. From June 1783 to 1786, Sphinx was operating in the Mediterranean.
Sphinx was paid off again in October 1786, and between December 1788 and May 1789, she had a ‘Between Middling and Great Repair’ at Woolwich. This cost £6,979, with a further cost of £3,259 for fitting out.
She was recommissioned again on 7th September 1790 under Captain George Tripp, and paid off in June 1792. Sphinx was refitted by Dudman, Deptford for £1,108 on 2nd March 1793, and completed fitting out in Woolwich for £2,137. In May 1793, she was recommissioned under Captain Richard Lucas. Sphinx took the 18 gun La Trompeuse off Cape Clear on 12th January 1794. Later that year, she was recommissioned under Captain Charles Mansfield, where Sphinx sailed for the East Indies station in April 1795. In 1796, under the command of Andrew Todd, she joined Elphinstone’s squadron at the Cape of Good Hope, and was present at the surrender of the Dutch squadron at Saldanha Bay on 17th August 1796, and later that year the capture of a French settlement at Foul Point, Madagascar.
Sphinx stayed in the East Indies until 1799, when she sailed home to England and then put into ordinary. She lasted until June 1811, when she was broken up at Portsmouth, after 36 years of service.
- Scale 1:64.
- Assembled dimensions are (LxWxH) 31.3" x 13" x 24.7" (797mm x 332mm x 627mm ).
- Laser cut parts in MDF, and clear acetate for gallery windows. All visible parts are laser cut in pear wood sheet
- Laser cut pear wood ladders and gratings included as standard
- Laser etched and cut maple decks with treenail detail
- All of the areas at and above deck level are pre-cut. Even the main wales are pre-cut.
- 5 sheets of photo etched brass
- High resolution 3D-printed 9-pounder cannon barrels (black) along with black acrylic cannon balls
- Gun port positions built into frame and inner/outer bulwarks cut to fit those positions.
- Double planked hull in limewood for first planking and pear wood for second planking.
- All planking above the wales is supplied in pre-cut and engraved sections.
- Walnut dowel for mast and yards
- Multiple sizes of both black and natural rigging thread along with all necessary blocks and deadeyes
- The full colour instruction manual is our most comprehensive yet, along with TWENTY-THREE plan sheets which include all masting and rigging drawings.
- Highly detailed resin stern decoration and 3D-printed Sphinx figurehead.
- 3D-printed lanterns for stern, with glazing.
- Three highly detailed ship’s boats in pear wood.
- Stern cabins with chequerboard-engraved floor.
- Fine black chain for rudder.
- Highly detailed ship’s stove and brick plinth
- Each Sphinx kit takes 8 full hours to produce
- Made in the UK by Vanguard Models